FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:54 am
Portal » Board index » Electrical

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
95.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 pm 
Hi guys,

Nice to see the old names still around, while I haven't been around since I sold my 19-6.
I have been sorting out a marine radio install for a friends boat and cant find the specific answer I need.
Its a simple but very specific wiring question.
Also someone else is bound to run across this so maybe this will be useful in the future.

I will leave it here and check back in a couple days (going out of town). Hopefully someone has an answer.

I will post the question first and will then post all the relevant stuff for those interested in why I am trying to wire it this way.

Its a Marine Radio install on a boat with a fuse panel and an accessory panel (with fused rocker switches) that are both controlled by a perko (so both are off/on based on the main battery switch.

QUESTION: Can i run the yellow wire (constant/memory/main 12v+ feed) and ground from the fuse panel, while running the red ign/acc 12v+ from the fused accessory switch on the accessory panel. I don't see why i cant, but its about not knowing what i don't know.

Here is the background.

When installing a marine radio I have three wires: yellow (memory AND 12v+), red (IGN/ACC 12v+), and ground. Now the yellow is not just memory as it is the main power feed for the radio, while the red is designed as an ignition feed that tells the radio when to go on and off.

This presets dont matter on the radio for my friend (the boat owner), so the boat owner doesnt want the yellow wired straight to the battery, so as of right now both the yellow and red wire and together at the fuse panel. the ground is also at the fuse panel. the radio turns on and off as expected, but then also turns on unexpectedly

The problem is that the way new radios are designed the radio turns itself off and then on anytime the voltage fluctuates because the red 12v+ wire is designed to respond to changes in voltage as a way to know when to turn on.

This copy/paste explains it better than If I am not being clear.

"I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

If the radio in question uses a three-wire power system (+12V DC BATT+ (constant), +12V DC Ignition/Accessory (switched) & Ground), the most likely cause for the radio to turn ON unexpectedly is that the radio is wired so that the IGN/ACC+ and the BATT+ are both wired to a constant power supply and the radio is responding to a voltage fluctuation on the electrical system.

Three-wire radios use the +12V IGN/ACC to "tell" it when to turn ON or OFF, just as a dash radio responds to the ignition when you turn the key ON/OFF.

If the radio is wired so that the IGN/ACC+ and the BATT+ are both wired to a constant power supply, the radio will remain ON at all times. With this type of installation, when you use the POWER button on the radio or remote, the radio will enter a standby state. This will allow the radio to "monitor" the buttons for user input (for example, pressing the POWER button again to turn the radio ON).

When other devices create a load and draw down the voltage momentarily, the radio will turn OFF. Upon return to normal voltage, the radio will turn ON. This would be the same as cycling the key in the ignition.

If you are unable to stabilize the power system to prevent this transient voltage, the best solution would be to install a two-position switch in-line on the IGN/ACC+ wire. This switch will allow you to remove power from the IGN/ACC+ wire so that the radio can enter an OFF state, and thus will prevent the radio from turning ON until power is re-applied via the switch.

JENSEN and Voyager Tech support Team "

So if i switch the red feed to a fused rocker switch, while leaving the yellow and ground at the fuse panel I get the ability to
1) have both yellow and red feeds off when the perko is off so no battery drain.
2) avoid the above problem because when yellow is live at the fuse but red is off at the accessory switch the radio is in true off position.
3) when we want radio we can flip the acc switch and enjoy some music

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
Bill

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,161.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm 
I think that is a good idea. Then the owner can just flip on that accessory switch and the radio will turn on.

About the yellow keep alive circuit. Overtime that will run down the boats battery unless he switches off the battery switch.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
1,100.80 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 am 
Also, remember to use adequate wire size for the power lead. Marine radios are very sensitive to voltage, and you will not get a good transmit if voltage is reduced by undersized wiring. The radio pulls a "nominal" 6 amps when transmitting, but most will spike up to about 10 amps during transmit. My suggestion is to use 14 ga power and ground wire to the radio and run a 10 or 15 amp fuse off the power supply. sSig_2cents

Cash on hand:
95.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Thanks GF and WT,
Both red and yellow feds will be controlled by the perko, so it will not have any battery drain issue.

I guess the crux of the question in having one positive (yellow) from a a fuse box and one positive (red) on a rocker switch on the accessory panel, does it matter which the ground is returned to. As I said i cant see why it would, but i am concerned I am misunderstanding the way a 12v system works.] and am no expert on the matter.

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
2,633,161.40 Points

Bank:
9,791,707.00 Points

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 pm 
ground is ground but I'd make sure it is a good clean ground connection. In fact your voltage issues could be from a poor ground. I'd run a dedicated negative for the stereo.

1987 170 Osprey Striper

"We do NOT want socialized medicine" - Ronald Reagan

Cash on hand:
95.00 Points

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 pm 
I had the same thought so I put a brand new fuse panel in with new fuses, new connectors and heat shrinks.

Thanks

Jump to: