FIND US ON FACEBOOK     Friends of the ABC     CLUB CHAT ROOM AND LOUNGE     VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS     ABC CLUB STICKERS 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm
Portal » Board index » Engines

Author
Search for:

Cash on hand:
836.55 Points

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 pm 
I read the book and watch the you tubes and this is a simple on and off task except for reconnecting the shift Rod so I decided to give it a write up for all to have for future reference.

To remove the lower unit; you first have to tilt the motor, remove the top cover and then the two cowl halves. Then shift into reverse and remove the clicp and push the shift rod in to release the shift rod. Mark the trim tail and then unbolt the 5 bolts that hold the lower unit and drop it.

This is all typical bit here are some notes to get things to help you:

1) Take a picture of the orientation of the pump and the impeller blades:

2) If you have to replace the lower cover or clean it up. Mine looked good but my water pump kit included a new one.

3) Don't forget to clean up the gasket good and replace the grommet for the shift rod:

4) Note the Shift Rod and do not move it or turn it because that will change the adjustment:

5) Make sure you grease up the impeller and I usually grease up the o-ring too to keep it from stretching and cracking, remember as you tighten up the housing the o-ring stretches and it could break.

6) To hold the impeller key, I use grease to hold it in place and the o-ring this will keep the key in place. Also grease up the plate to avoid a dry start.

7) Remove the intake box and you can see the shift fork and align the key hole with the shift Rod. ***The only way to do this is from the front ***

Last edited by Aquasport Commodore on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Made Sticky

2017 Club Funder

Cash on hand:
10,769.25 Points

Bank:
2,596.45 Points

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:13 am 
That was exactly the same thing as my 05 evinrude

1986 19'6 aquasport-___/\___ 1972 14ft Dargel Scooter-___/\___ 1982 1800 Hydrasports-

Profile Personal album  

Cash on hand:
560.80 Points

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:41 pm 
To help others.
It is not necessary to split the lower cowl. Pull the pin and push the shaft in as stated to disconnect the shift rod. Be sure it's disconnected. Remove the lower unit after removing SIX bolts. There is a bolt under the trim tab.
Clean the rubber seal groove in the pump housing and put some blue RTV in the groove. Fit the rubber seal and wait for the RTV to set up. This will help prevent the seal from squeezing out when you fit the Impeller. Grease as suggested and fit the Impeller on the shaft fitting the shaft O ring below the the Impeller if used. Slide the greased housing onto the shaft and lower to the impeller. Clamp the shaft above the impeller with a vice grip. Use the vice grip to rotate the shaft clockwise whilst pressing the housing down over the impeller. If you don't do the rotation the Impeller blades may be incorrectly orientated and the pump will only half work.
Use OMC thread sealer, coating the threads and the SHANKS of all bolts. The sealer will also act as a soft thread locker. Replace the shift seal the housing top seal and the water tube seal. Grease the seals for easier assembly. If you remove the sparks plugs you can rotate the flywheel with one hand to get the drive shaft splines to engage. Always grease the splines on both the drive and prop shaft. The shift shaft length should be maintained. Don,t forget to fit the exhaust connection.
It easier to get at the shift shaft coupling with the air box removed. It is possible to engage the coupling without, with a lot of cussing.
Of course a manual is preferred and a Seloc will suffice.
Any questions please feel free to ask

Jump to: